Saturday, March 7, 2009

A MOTHER’S LAMENTATIONS

Child, how many times must
I tell you to close your mouth if
you have nothing good to say?
Speak when spoken to and
answer when you are called.

Don’t tell me that it’s a new era
and that I need to change, because
it’s this constant change makes the
world this mess today, I do hope
some day you’ll understand.

Dealing with young ‘adults without
sense’ of today is not an easy task;
but when you loose the will to fight,
then the indiscipline takes flight and
believe me it kills the will to live.

When your time comes to find a good
man, I hope you’re prepared to peel
bananas and yams. Child If you’re
not prepared Mess up your hands,
then you will not get a wedding band.

Surely, I know that you will not want to
be, like Miss Mary’s Sue who turned
out to be so miserable and blue. Cause
try as she may, pretty and o so gay,
never will she live to see a wedding day.

I know some day you’ll remember my
plight and look back at my struggles
in life, for just to make two ends meet,
I had to sleep with every man I meet
and so I hope this will not be your feat.

So hear what I say, and don’t do as I did.
Yes, the university education will pay off
some day, it sure will! If I don’t live to
see the fruits of my labour, then the ants
will come tell me the outcome later.

1 comment: